Make this crispy baked eggplant with fresh mozarella, marinara and basil pesto for a delightful and inspiring, healthy meal. Click here for my favorite marinara recipe.
A delicious eggplant recipe packed with tons of flavor.
Write a review
- 1 large eggplant
- Seasoning - sea salt, garlic and onion powder, parsley and basil
For the dredging
- 1/2 cup flour (I used potato flour)
- 1 large egg blended with 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups of sugar snap pea crispy snacks* - blended to a bread crumb consistency
- 2 cups your favorite marinara sauce*
- 1 log fresh mozarella cheese - 1/8 inch round slices
- 1/4-1/2 cup Pesto - store bought or homemade*
If making homemade pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup grape seed oil
- Preheat oven to 400 °
- Slice eggplant into 1/8 inch rounds
- Sprinkle liberally with seasoning on both sides and set aside
- In three separate shallow dishes, dredge eggplant in flour, then egg, (shaking off excess each time) and then pea crumble to coat evenly (you can also add your seasoning to the dredging dishes as well for more flavor)
- Place in a large baking pan and bake for 15 minutes until tops are golden brown
Meanwhile, if making the pesto
- Place 2 cups of fresh basil in a blender
- Add pine nuts and cheese
- Drizzle in oil while blender is on low - you can always add a little more if needed
Putting it all together
- Place one eggplant slice on a baking pan, top with sliced mozarella, drizzle pesto, then top with another eggplant slice, and drizzle again with pesto
- Bake again for 5 minutes or so - to melt the cheese
- Ladle some marinara sauce onto a plate and top with eggplant stack
- You can always buy your favorite store bought marinara and pesto to make things go a little quicker.
- I purchase baked sugar snap pea crisps in the snack section of my grocery store. I purchase the large bag at Costco because this is my go to "bread" crumbs.
- Refer to my lasagna blog post for my favorite marinara sauce recipe.
YOU CAN'T FAIL http://youcantfail.com/